With 62 crews registered at the Star Class European Championship 2003, the world’s best Star sailors completed one race on day one of competition in Portugal.
With Olympic nomination points available to Aussie crews that finish in the top 30, Olympians Colin Beashel (AIS/NSWIS) and David Giles (AIS/NSWIS) provided Australia’s best result of the day, finishing 6th overall.
Earlier this year, Beashel and Giles were the highest ranked Australian’s at Kiel Week and Sail Melbourne (the first two Olympic nomination regattas for the Star class).
Not far behind the AIS crew, finishing 8th overall, was Victorian crew Ian "Barney" Walker and Nick Williams.
These day one results see two Australian crews ahead of the world number one Swiss crew, who are placed 11th.
Results after day one racing:
1. Mark Neeleman/Peter Van Niekerk (NED) 2pts
2. Michael Koch/Markus Koy (GER) 3pts
3. Roberto Benarmati/Fillippo Domenicali (ITA) 3pts
6. Colin Beashel/David Giles (AUS) 6pt
8. Ian Walker/Nick Williams (AUS) 8pts
12. Iain Murray/Andrew Palfrey (AUS) 12pts
49. Michael Jones/Bill Sykes (AUS) 49pts
Visit the regatta website - http://www.stareuro2003.com
For further information please contact:
Simone Green - Media and PR Co-Ordinator, Yachting Australia
Work: (02) 9902 2155 Mobile: 0402 278 178