No official report available from day one racing
Racing began at the 2003 IFDS Sailing World Championship in Athens, Greece, with Australian National Paralympic squad member Peter Thompson (ACT) producing the best Australian performance on day one of competition.
With Paralympic nomination points up for grabs, Thompson made an early surge, finishing 1st in race one and 4th in race two. With only two races contested Thompson has already taken a 20 point led on fellow 2.4mR team member Michael McLean (VIC).
The WA Sonar Crew improved on their 14th place in race one, to finish with a top ten position in race two. The Sydney Sonar Challenge sailed consistently to be in 16th position.
2.4mR Class day one results:
1. Schmilter Thierry (NED) 4pts
2. Thompson Peter (AUS) 5pts
3. Stordahl Jostein (NOR) 11pts
11. McLean Michael (AUS) 25pts
30. Hill Aaron (AUS) 59pts
Sonar Class day one results:
1. Robertson John/Thomas Stephen/Stodel Hannah (GBR) 3pts
2. Hessels Udo/Van De Veen Marcel/Rossen Mischa (NED) 6pts
3. Cohen Dror/Vaxler Benny/Levy Michael (ISR) 7pts
11. Dunross Jamie/Milligan Jeffery/Harrison Colin (AUS) 22pts
16. Churm Stephen/Pegan Zoltan/Rayner Grahame (AUS) 33pts
Visit the regatta website - http://www.2003ifdsworld.gr
For further information please contact:
Simone Green - Media and PR Co-Ordinator, Yachting Australia
Work: (02) 9902 2155 Mobile: 0402 278 178